2012年2月15日水曜日

RAY-legion

Ha! Just in case you didn’t figure it out, "RAY-legion" is a pun on the word "Religion", in where I was able to integrate my name by slotting it into the first syllable. I decided on the suffix-word “legion” as “RAY-legion” sounds a lot better than “RAY-ligion”, and perhaps one day, maybe my mentality might have a "legion" of followers. This blog post shall serve as a way into the inner-workings of my mentality and mind.

Although I was brought up Catholic, I wouldn’t say I’m the most religious person out. I could argue that I’m Atheist but I’m sure there’s a myriad of arguments which would probably prevent me from being able to claim that I am that. I guess you could say I’m a sort of Agnostic but to be frank, I don’t let issues such as religious labels bug me. I also don’t really show any prejudice towards other religions so long as they let me be. I tend to be in the mindset of live and let live.


For the record, I’m aware of the arguments both for and against the notion that “Morals stem from religious doctrine” or something to that effect. I just thought I’d point that out. Feel free to read up on them if you wish.


So here’s the preface:

PERSON:  What religion are you?
ME: I’m RAY-legion!
PERSON: No, seriously… What religion?
ME: I was brought up Catholic, so I guess that makes me Catholic? I dunno… I don’t let such things bug me… I act all good and stuff, and probably I’ve been influenced by Christian doctrine, but yeah, it’s up to you…


And now we move on to the more interesting stuff...


I’ll assume you are aware of the concept of “karma” and “an eye for an eye”.

For me, I take a bit from each and make up my own system which helps me determine how I should act in given a situation. This may be worded a bit badly so I may re-edit thefollowing till I get it right. In either case, I'm sure the explanation below it will help make more sense.

1) Whether you do something positive or negative (or do nothing which then results in a consequence either positive or negative) that something will come back to you in some form, one way or another
2) The magnitude in which it comes back to you may or not be equal to the aforementioned said amount
3) So from there, taking that risk into account, you can determine what course of action to take in a given situation

I tend to apply this to negative things, for example If I were to steal $100 the consequences for that action would be that somewhere down the track as payback, I may lose $10 or I may lose $1,000.

As I tend to be a risk-averse person I guess I can say that under most circumstances I will resist the urge to steal the $100 for fear of losing $1,000 later on down the track.

Of course there have been people who often counter-argue with statements like, “Just because you do something bad, doesn’t mean there’s going to be some sort of cosmic-retribution going after you as a consequence”.

Furthermore, this system is also completely open to abuse, especially if one were to believe that they would only lose $10 down the track, should they steal the $100 in my aforementioned example.
Be that as it may, I guess it’s just the way I am and this system works perfectly for me. Who knows, it may even work for you too.



Here are a few other things I think are worth a small mention regarding my mentality.

- There's always bound to be a postive, no matter how bad things get
- I tend to dislike useless effort (Although I’m sure if were to audit my behavior, I could be a hypocrite here)
- And at that, I generally dislike hypocrites
- I often like heavily processed (sic. fake) things. So for music that means auto-tune and for food that means cheeseburgers
- If you've got it, flaunt it if you want (but try not to put down those less fortunate you) and if you don't have it, be discreet, work hard to get it if you can, or make do without

I also tend to be a bit pessimistic, especially when it comes towards anticipating good things such as if a girl will say yes to me on a date, or whether I’ll have a string of good luck. As odd as it may seem coming from a happy-go-lucky person like me, my rationale for that is so that I’ll be grateful for anything good which comes my way. Consequently, I end this post with a line from the movie “Ice Age”.


Diego to Sid: If you ever find a mate in life, you should be loyal. In your case, grateful!

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿